2012-10-12

The Puez-Odle Visitor Center




The Puez-Odle/Geisler Nature Reserve was extended in 1999 and now comprises an expanse of 10,722 hectares (25,194 acres). 


It extends from the Passo delle Erbe/Würzjoch in the north to the Passo Gardena/Grödner Joch to the south, and from Val Badia/Gadertal in the east to the Val di Funes/Villnöss valley and the Val Gardena/Gröden valley in the west. The nature reserve is named after the striking peaks of the Puez and the pinnacles of the Odle/Geisler massifs.    
Dolomite is the main sedimentary rock found in the Puez-Odle Nature Reserve, formed of an almost white crystalline mineral named after the French geologist Deodat de Dolomieu who first described the chemical composition of the rock in 1789.


The Nature Reserve Visitor Centre at Santa Maddalena/St. Magdalena in the Val di Funes/Villnöss valley is the main information point for the protected area focusing on its wealth of geological, biological and cultural features.    
The valley of Funes was chosen as location for the Nature Park House Puez-Odle because it is a main access to the Nature Park Puez-Odle and because in this way, the catchment area of the Isarco Valley is covered, too. 

 
The Visitor Center (open since december 29th, 2009) is a two-storied building. The shape chosen by Burger Rudacs Architekten (München) is the parallelepiped. The material is papyrus-colored cement. The texture of the surface and the oiled larch, used to frame windows and doors, harmonoiusly combine, in contrast to the black steel. The light enhances these surfaces, the shades of beige  change throughout the day and the seasons.
The Visitor Centre has the task of bringing visitors closer to nature and inviting him to linger. The exhibition includes an aerial photograph of the area and displays of the local geology.